We all have bad days, and we all have times where we feel rubbish. For the past five years I have suffered from mental illness specifically depression and anxiety and there have been many days when I just feel like curling up in a ball and not moving. But as the years have gone on I’ve learnt ways to tell when I’m beginning to feel low and anxious. I can now tell my triggers and most of the time I know when I need to take some time out, when its all getting to much for me. I know that a lot of you will suffer with the same problems and if you don’t have mental health issues you will have bad days because everyone does and I wanted to write this post to say that’s okay. You’re not alone. But also to share some tips with you. If you are like me and you can feel like everything is just getting too much for you then these may help you to take some time out and if you’re just having a bad day I hope these will help to relax you too.
1. Be selfish, if you feel everything is getting too much and you’re feeling anxious just say to people I’m sorry but I’m busy tonight and take a night to yourself to do whatever you love to do. Which leads me onto my next point…..
2. Make time to do what you love doing be that reading, writing, cooking or watching 24 episodes of Gossip Girl, take a couple of hours out drop all the to do lists, put your phone away and just enjoy doing what you love.
3. Spend time outdoors, I cannot say this enough spending time outside is amazing! It has been scientifically proven to help your mental health and to release happy hormones. You’ll get some fresh air and a bit of vitamin D as well and if you spend a little bit of time outside every day I always tend to find you sleep better and deeper.
4. Do a little bit of exercise, when you exercise you release hormones which make you happy. I personally am not a big gym bunny but I love yoga and I find it very relaxing and so each morning I do yoga outside in my garden. You could find a class you enjoy, go swimming with some friends or just go for a nice relaxing walk in the sunshine. Whatever works for you try to do a little bit each week.
5. Treat yourself for cheap, run yourself a bath fill it with your favourite bubble bath, put a face mask on and soak up in the tub with a book. Then when you get out you could paint your nails and give yourself the full spa treatment.
6. Invite a friend over, ring a loved one that you love having a natter with or meet up with the girls for a drink. Spending some time with others out of the house can often be a big help and take you out of yourself a bit. Don’t wait around for someone to invite you get on facebook or text them and see who is around.
Those are just some easy idea’s to help you when you’re are feeling unhappy and need a little pick me up. What do you do when you are feeling down? I’d love to hear your tips and tricks.
Bye for now!